Should you Repair your computer or is it cheaper to replace it?
Given that you can replace your old computer or laptop now days for a very low price compared with the price you paid for the old one, but at the time the old computer was cutting edge or the latest and greatest. Laptop repair can be cost effective depending on the repair and the condition of the laptop.
There are a few things to take into consideration here:
What is broken and the cost to repair it?
Faulty keyboard – $100
Failed hard drive – $250
Broken DC jack – $130
Faulty charger $80
Broken LCD screen $200
Broken hinge $120
Faulty fan $130
Faulty motherboard $350 to $800
Faulty graphics card $150 to $500
Virus or malicious software $110
Looking at these estimated prices I would say it is worth your while to repair your laptop unless it needs a new motherboard.
I would consider what I need the laptop for if just the internet, E-Mails and word processing then there is no need to upgrade just repair and keep on going.
- A new machine will be faster at first.
- You can run the latest software.
- You get a 12 month warranty.
- A new laptop or computer will not be of the same quality build as your old computer or laptop, these cheap models that are advertised are of poor quality inside and out.
- You will need to get someone to transfer your data $$$
- You may need to purchase new software $$$
- You can get extended warranty and will need it $$$
- You will get something that you do not need but will pay for it, so do not let a salesman talk you into something you do not require as he gets paid a commission.
- You will get windows 8 and have a steep learning curve.
Some simple maintenance to your computer will prolong the life span of the device, but people do not do the simple things till it is too late.
If your laptop is running Hot have your laptop cleaned out internally as overheating is the biggest killer of laptops, you will only have to get this done once every few years.
This is the only maintenance task required on a laptop and removing lint build up with a new coating of thermal grease will work wonders for an old laptop, as overheating causes the CPU to slow down in both laptops and P.C’s.
Now Advice is free so do not hesitate to call or stop by the shop if you have any concerns with regards to any computer problems that you are having.
Contact Us Now